Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Grade Artists

 First grade artists spent the first art classes this year learning about different kinds of lines. We looked around the art room and found horizontal lines and vertical lines on the brick walls. We saw organic, wavy lines on our wooden tables. We worked drawing cartoon faces using only one type of line for each face.
This week we are reading "Elmer", the story of a patch-work-colored elephant who doesn't like being different than all the other gray elephants. We will be creating a drawing of Elmer, using all the lines we learned about to create shapes and patterns.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, and no matter how old we get to be, there's always something wonderful to learn, if you think you are ever too young or too old to learn, you are going back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I did this with my first graders on their first day back from summer vacation. Great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I am a general education teacher that teaches all subjects to a classroom of mixed ages. Before we begin our geometry unit on lines (intersecting, parallel and perpendicular) I would like to read "Elmer" to my class and teach about the different art lines then let my kids create the elephant piece. I would like to expose them to the lines in nature and then move into the more mathematical concrete lines. Do you have this elephant pattern/template available for purchase or download?

    ReplyDelete